Yes, today is 🍕 Pie Day 🍕 . But maybe more importantly, it is 💵 Equal Pay Day💵 .
An article published today (see link below) by NPR tells us that:
– Women earn about 82 cents for every dollar a man earns
– For Black women, it’s about 65 cents
– For Latina women, it’s about 60 cents
It is surprising to me that this number hasn’t really changed much in the past 20 years.
NPR further points out a few significant changes that SHOULD have affected the pay gap but doesn’t seem to be.
– More women now graduate from college than men
– More women graduate from law school than men
– Medical school graduates are roughly half women
So what gives?
Here are some thoughts from someone who was more than likely paid less during the course of my career:
1 – You have to know your worth in the marketplace regardless of your gender.
2 – You have to advocate for yourself to be paid that worth.
3 – You have to mentor people to understand this inequity and advocate for themselves.
4 – Employers, you need to do better.
If you think you are paid less than your worth because of gender, what will you do today to move the needle toward equality?
If you’d like to talk about your particular career situation, let’s chat! http://www.booklisah.com/